Kimchi is a Korean vegetable dish made of cabbage and radishes, which are seasoned, slated and stored in a container where they ferment. It is served with any meal and contains vitamins and other health benefits. The steps on how to make kimchi is very simple that requires few basic ingredients that are easily available.
The Ingredients in Making Kimchi
- NAPA Cabbage
- Diced in half small white and green onions
- 1 shaved carrot
- Half cup of sea salt
- 1 pressed garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- Half teaspoon of grounded ginger
- 5 tablespoon of Korean powdered red pepper
With all the above ingredients in place, cooking is what follows next. Below is the procedure:
- Cut the cabbage lengthwise and across into small pieces.
- Place the cut pieces in sealed plastic containers
- Mix the cabbage thoroughly with the sea salt until you see water come out of the cabbage. Leave it for five hours to completely drain the water then rinse off the sea salt from the cabbage.
- Add the diced white and green onions, the shredded and shaved carrot, pressed garlic clove, ginger and the red pepper while stirring to ensure the cabbage is well coated.
- Place it in a kimchi refrigerator so that it does not go bad for an hour or two then serve.
A kimchi refrigerator is a type of refrigerator designed specifically to meet the storage needs of different kimchi delicacies that include different methods of fermentation and temperature control.
There are several ways and other traditional methods on how to make kimchi. These methods also use a variation of ingredients so the end result will be slightly different. For instance, adding mustard seed, daikon, scallions, and wheat free tamari into the ingredients.
- When preparing, the insides of the cabbage can be removed using ordinary salt or brine after which it is left to soak in the salty water for 2 to 24 hours.
- Mix all the other ingredients in one bowl, then rinse the cabbage and leave it to drain.
- Afterwards, add it to the bowl of vegetables and mix. This is left to ferment for three days at room temperature. It will be ready when it has a sweet taste.
This is the Western style on how to make kimchi although many people have used other ingredients not very far from the Korean traditional style.
Kimchi is a great dish and with the above tips, you’ll be able to make your own kimchi and enjoy.